First skyscraper in Latin America, the Martinelli Building is located in the center of São Paulo between São Bento streets, Av. São João and Rua Libero Badaro.
The building was designed by its creator, the Italian Giuseppe Martinelli, and symbolized progress of the city. Construction began in 1924 and the inauguration took place in 1929, with 20 floors.
Over the years, new flooring complemented the building. The goal of Martinelli, however, was up to 30 floors. At the time, buildings over 10 floors were deemed too high.